Hiring for Police Officers is handled by the Support Services Commander who can be contacted at 317.487.6089. The Department conducts a hiring process in order to maintain a selection list of qualified candidates for employment. APD does not maintain resumes or applications for applicants when not conducting a hiring process.
Police Officer Job Description
Under the general direction and supervision of a Sergeant or higher authority, the Police Officer works independently in the performance of their regularly assigned duties. The Police Officer is responsible for the enforcement of airport ordinances, local, state and federal regulations and is the primary responder to all law enforcement matters at the Indianapolis International Airport. The Police Officer is also charged with the protection of life and property of the general public within the Indianapolis Airport Authority's jurisdiction, facilities and personnel.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be at least 21 years old at time of hire
- Shall be a high school graduate or possess a GED certificate
- Graduation from the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy or a reciprocal institution. If an applicant has not attended the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, they shall be able to pass the physical fitness exit standards adopted by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and successfully complete the academy once appointed.
- Shall possess a valid Indiana driver's license (or obtain one wihtin 60 days of becoming an Indiana resident)
- Shall have no felony convictions and have not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence prohibiting the possession and carry of a firearm
- Shall not have been dishonorably discharged from the military
- Uncorrected vision of 20/100 or better and corrected vision of 20/40 or better
- Must reside in Marion County or any of the six adjacent counties (Hendricks, Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Johnson, Morgan)
- Must perform all of the essential functions of the job outlined above without creating a direct threat to the safety of oneself, subordinates, or others
- Starting salary of $37,500 reaching $55,000 after the fifth year
- 457b retirement plan with a 9% employer contribution match
- Shift differential and specialty pay
- College tuition reimbursement
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants. IAA provides equal opportunity in employment to all associates and applicants for employment. No person shall be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal or state statutes, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.
IAA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities as required under federal and state laws. This policy governs all personnel decisions, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.